Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What do you do?

What do you do?

Your friend tells you that she trusts you so much that she wants you to stop her from making a stupid decision. The decisions like not wearing a bra when she meets a famous person, cheating on her husband, ignoring a mammogram appointment, not killing her parents when they announce they are divorcing.  Those kind of decisions.  Then, the day comes when she announces she is thinking about making a bad decision.

I think, "Oh, boy, here we go."  I put on my big girl pants.  I talk, I question, I plead.  Nothing works.  She can give me no good answer, other than "I want to."  I push some more because she asked me to, long ago when she handed over that trust.  Then, she tells me I am acting like an old lady, need to get hip.  Ouch.

But I am a friend.  I take the blow and push on.

She decides to do it anyway.  It is not horrible, I guess.  It is just something she swore she would never do.  It will reflect on how others think of her.  She never wanted that kind of reputation.

She wants me to go with her.  She wants me to photograph this event.  So, I put on my big girl pants again.  I have done all I can do.  Talked until I was hoarse.

What do you do?

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I would be able to photograph it. But I probably would anyway. :) It is so hard to let people we love make bad choices. I only hope she doesn't blame you for not stopping her.

    ReplyDelete