As a little girl, one night each year, I was allow to stay up late and watch television. Oscar Night. My mom and I would sit on her bed and we would watch the ladies in their pretty dresses. We would have a little chocolate, a little soda, but most of all, spend time together.
Tonight, my six year old and I snuggled in bed with a little chocolate, a little soda and watched the pretty ladies in their dresses. She talked about how it must feel to be up on stage to win a neat award. She said she wants to win awards when she gets older. I love that she dreams. I love she dreams outside of the context of which she sees. I love she is enjoying what I enjoyed years ago.
She was supposed to go to sleep when the red carpet portion of the show ended but would not. The complaints started about not feeling well, how she did not need to go to school tomorrow, coming up with all the little girl excuses. I did what my mom did. I pretended to be harsh but let her cuddle and watch the pretty ladies in the pretty dresses until she fell sound asleep.
I love making the memories for her ... and for me.
_____________________________________________
Add technology into the mix. Who would have thought years ago that I could spend the evening with my best friend who is not in the same room, same state, or same time zone?
For the second year in a row, the Oscars were shared via texting. Truly, I can't imagine any better way to watch the Oscars other than texting with my bff. We did everything that friends do in sharing Oscar night. We confirmed the date. We planned the menu. We checking in ahead of time to confirm our party time. We dissed. We made fun of make up. We oogled over jewelry. We drooled over the men. We teared up over speeches. We chatted about non-Oscar stuff. We spent time enjoying each others' company. We had a great time.
Knock technology and texting all you want, I would not give them up during Oscar night for all the money in the world!
Oh ..... and "King's Speech" and Colin Firth, Cheers to You!
No one makes memories and captures them better than you! J
ReplyDelete