Let's admit it. No one is shocked to hear that one hated high school. And, I am one of those people who detested most of those long adolescent days. Stuck. In a Catholic. All Girls. School. With. the All Boys' School. next door.
Classroom blinds were snapped shut during the boys' class exchange to prevent enjoyment of eye candy. "The Moat" separated the two schools. "Crossing the Moat" during school hours was deemed a mortal sin.
Get the picture?
But after a while one forgets about those feelings - especially after almost 30 years ....
Until one takes her son to the School's Open House.
So there I stood. One among hundreds. Kids racing past. Kids loud and happy. Kids Hugging and High. Kids banging lockers. Parents trying to navigate down the crowded hallway.
Andrew was at his locker trying desperately to figure out the combination - using his right hand ... the one broken in two places. The harder he worked, the more anxious I felt.
I was right back there. Wandering the halls of my high school. It's the first morning after Christmas Break. I can't remember which locker is mine. Is it this bank or the next? Crap! What's my locker number? Oh great. Not only can I not remember the locker number. I can't remember the combination. I can't be late for class. I can't go to the office. Where is it? What is it? I want to die right here. Oh. Oh. Oh. Oh. my. God. It's Sr. Agnes Joseph! Now, I am going to die.
Thankfully, Andrew knocked me back to reality. "MOM! My lock doesn't have a hash mark like everyone else's. So I don't know where the number goes."
Turns out, his lock was installed upside down. Whew!
I know I had trouble with my locker ... obviously .... but was today's flashback a true memory or one of those high school nightmares that keep me from a good sleep?
I'll never know. I am so glad I don't have to go back to those high school days!
No comments:
Post a Comment