Happy July!
Enjoy the photography from members of the
Capture Your 365 Community.
Those participating in this quarter's blog hop are:
Kathleen - Taking Pictures, Enjoying Life
Kelly - but for the
Grace of God
Karen - Random Reflections
Janine - The Sweetest Dreams
Katrina - Capture Your 365
Karen - Random Reflections
Janine - The Sweetest Dreams
Katrina - Capture Your 365
__________________________________________________
I am not a planner when it comes to my photography. The hunt for the photo or the anticipation of an image appearing before me are what inspire me to take pictures every day. I enjoy looking back at photos and seeing how my pictures group together and what themes appear. The project of shooting every day typically fulfills my curiosity and I thrive on the daily spontananiety it proves.
My experience during this quarter was distinctly different. I chose a specific topic -my last days with my dad.
Dad suffered from a progressive degenerative brain disease that slowly ate away at his brain. Many aspects of his illness were incredibly sad. The saddest for me was to remember at how hard Dad worked to challenge his brain. He was a physician. My main childhood memory is of my dad reading in his den. His nose was always in a textbook or a clinical guideline or a continuing education booklet. During long car rides, Dad would listen to Audio Digest cassette tapes which described the latest technological advanced in anesthesia.
As much as I long for a family like the Waltons, mine is the exact opposite. I believe we experience life the way we do for a reason. I will never understand why my family behaves the way they do.
I am fortunate that Jim, the kids and me were afforded the opportunity to care for my dad every day for a full month. I took hundreds of photos over the course of the month. Those weeks will be cherished forever. We learned, we grieved and we loved. The last time I saw my dad was on May 17. Despite his limited capacities, Dad was able to convey forgiveness, understanding and love.
I am not sure why we were afforded the month with my dad but I am grateful for it. I will cherish my photographs of him forever.
Dad died on Friday, June 29th.
__________________________________________________
Thank you for visiting.
Hop on over to my friend, Kelly's blog.
I know you won't be disappointed.





I'm so sorry for your loss. These photos are tender and beautiful. The relationships portrayed in these photos are so full of emotion and love! I wish I had comparable ones of my parents before they died.
ReplyDeleteWhat a tribute to your Dad in photos, Kathleen. I am so very, very sorry for the death of your father. Said a prayer for you and your family this morning.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful tribute and photos ... so sorry for your loss. You and yours are on my mind and in my heart.
ReplyDeleteYou, my friend are a treasure. What you captured is truly special.
ReplyDeleteOh Kathleene, I'm so sorry for your loss. I just have to tell you that the photos your posted of your Dad's time with you were some of the most beautiful images in the gallery. He was lucky to have had the time with you and your family and I'm sure you all felt lucky to have had him with you. Hugs.....
ReplyDeleteStunning! I love your photography. You certainly know how to Capture! Love, James
ReplyDelete