Friday, March 25, 2011

Project 365 and Me



When I first learned about Project 365 escapes me, I just know I loved the idea from the moment I read about it.

It intrigued me, it scared me, it excited me.

The little voice inside said to not start another project for fear of needing to give up on it or worse yet, not complete it.  I feared the inability to dream up interesting photos day after day.  But, the little voice inside issuing the challenge won over little voice scared it.

I have read many, many posts about frustrations related to Project 365.  That perspective remains very foreign to me.

I love Project 365!

Am I perfect with it? No.

Do I struggle on some days for inspiration? Of course.


The camera has become a fifth appendage, I feel naked without it. By taking photos everyday, my philosophy about photography has changed. My pre-365 self was too focused on shooting the "special" moments, so much so, that I was more concerned about taking photos than participating in the moments. The pressure I put on myself as family historian, needed to capture it all and all the time, is gone. I've evolved.

I now realize that all moments are special ones. I have developed a confidence in myself and confidence in my photography skills, knowing I will capture moments well. I'll take the time to shoot my photos but also I'll also stop shooting to experience and enjoy the life, not just photograph it.

My photography skills have improved. The love of the capture keeps me on my toes. My subconscious must work on the project, too. When an interesting image appears in front of me, my first thought is "Wow, that would make a great photo of the day!"

My goal is to have a book printed of all my 2011 Project 365 photos.  Each week, the seven daily photos are grouped onto a digital scrapbook page.  While I adore some of my daily Project 365 photos, others are just okay.  Like people, power exists in my groupings of photographs. I do not plan a photo from one day to another. I do not pick a weekly color nor idea to photograph.  Somehow, a magical transformation occurs in combining a week of photos. The colors come together. The photos blend well. I am never disappointed with how the collection comes together.

Project 365 motivates me on those days when I am down or sick of the dead of winter.  It has been the kick in the pants I need to get up and out. The desire to continue the project, the desire to get a good shot has motivated me to just move.  Even after going out in the subzero temperatures, I am happy to have been out and about when I would not have gone otherwise.  I have been places and done things I never would have, like asking a stranger about his ice boat or walking out to the middle of a frozen lake to stomp my initials in the snow.  That motivation and those experiences are priceless. 

The biggest gift Project 365 has given me is that of community.

By gaining confidence in my skills, my fears of sharing my photography lessened. I began to share more and more; first with my friends and then, with strangers.

My closest friends joined in the Project 365 challenge on January 1, 2011.  We share our images daily via a Facebook group. Many of the ladies did not know each other when they started. Those who were strangers then are now tried and true friends. We share more than photos, we share the support of friendship, joys, sorrows, opinions, and a love for each other.

The world became smaller for me. I joined online communities such as Capture your 365  and Flickr. I have connected with women from all over the world and become acquainted with women I consider friends, despite never meeting them in person. In my heart, I know when we do meet, we'll get along as if we'd known each other forever.

Project 365 is a blessing.

So, on my Day 162, I am glad I did not listen to that little voice. I am happy to have taken the leap into Project 365!

3 comments:

  1. Your family is happy you took the leap! We can't wait for Project 365 2011 to be published! J

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful post Kathleen. Thank you for sharing it with me. 365 is so much more than a photo a day, I'm so glad to count you among my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, Kathleen! Like Katrina, I'm glad to have gotten to know you through our photo journey.

    ReplyDelete