I really don't want to sound like a whiner. Really, I don't.
The bad guys (and/or girls) who broke into our minivan did what they did. None of us were hurt. Nothing of significant value was stolen. The minivan is almost back to its pre-shattered window state.
The Bridgeton, MO police were a calming force as the damaged car owners emerged from the hotel to see the damage done to our vehicles. Not once did they criticize me for being stupid and leaving my wallet in the minivan. They took the crime very seriously, even dusting for fingerprints. (FYI Fingerprinting powder is a gift that keeps on giving. It grabs onto clothes and does not want to wash off.) After the police gathered their information, they gave us advise on where to visit in St. Louis.
The hotel staff were more than accommodating. They insisted that a housekeeper clean up the shattered glass to the point where she took out a shop vacuum and cleaned the floor mats. The mats are cleaner now than before we left. The hotel provided tape and plastic to cover the opening where the window was once housed. The biggest surprise was that the hotel waived all three nights worth of charges (the night of the break in until we could get the window repaired).
The Safelite technician was a hoot and incredibly professional. He could not stop laughing after we sang the "Safelite Repairs, Safelite Replace" jingle to him. He did not complain as my ten year old supervised and asked a million questions about how the repair process worked.
My biggest dread of this process was having to visit the Secretary of State's Office to have my driver's license replaced. The thought of standing in line, only to be told I did not have the appropriate proof of identity was in the forefront of my mind. I discovered I could apply for a new license online! Woohoo for Ruth Johnson, Michigan's current secretary, who has streamlined many of the office processes.
Here is where the whining starts. I don't carry the numbers of my credit cards with me. I have not entered them into my Evernote account or elsewhere in case I need them. As soon as I realized my credit cards were missing, I called my bank. It was Sunday and they were closed. The recorded message told me that if my card was stolen, I was to enter the card number and the card would be shut off. The card was gone. I had no record of the number and so could do nothing until the bank opened on Monday morning.
First thing Monday morning, I called the bank and talked to a friendly man about our dilemma. He patiently reviewed my accounts and determined which card was used fraudulently. He took down the police report information. We were in contact on at least six separate times over the past three days about what additional steps needed to be taken from a banking standpoint. I was instructed to visit a bank branch to complete the necessary paperwork. I provided the location where I would be visiting.
After communicating so much with the staffer, I expected to enter the bank, meet an agent, sign the prepared paperwork and depart. But alas, it did not work that way. I had to wait for a personal banker. I had to prove my identity which I completely understand. I am not clear as to why she needed to scan my military identification card for their files. Then, the wait began as she laboriously read through all the notes from coworker. After printing about blank copies of the necessary paperwork, she wrote out all of the information that I had communicated to the bank on Monday.
Okay, so it only took 30 minutes. Yes, the bank is reversing the charges and waiving all of the overdraft fees. No, I do not have any out of pocket costs for the fraudulent charges. But, darn it, it seems it would have been much more efficient for all involved had the agent who took my call had taken the time to fill them out as he went along.
Groceries, gasoline, diapers and children's shoes were purchased with my credit card. Seems that those who used the card needed to money to support their family. The biggest lesson for me is learning the measures someone will take to meet basic needs. It leaves me sad.
No comments:
Post a Comment