I do not consider my photographs to be "art". I started taking "pictures" to be able to document the memories for me, my husband and family. Post-processing has never been a big deal to me. The enjoyment of my photography came from being able to capture the image in an interesting way and share that with my family.
My goal in taking the "Project Winter" course was to prompt photos for me during the dead of winter. I wanted to be successful during my first official month of Project 365.
Today's prompt was to: Think minimal, think simple. Ugh.
To make a long story short, picture this. The drive home was nasty. Slick, heavy snow was falling. Kids were anxious to get home. The insistence of a full bladder (mine) prevented me from taking the shot I had planned. No one was happy. After dealing with nature calling, I had to come up with Plan B. We stopped a block from our house so I could at least try to get a decent image. This is the photo I took.
I hated it as soon as I saw it on the computer. I thought about deleting it but then, realized it was the only shot I had to fit today's prompt. I hate to not participate - but hate to submit something substandard to my fellow classmates. I felt foolish. The photo is so totally not my style. I don't care for it nor do I see value in it. Decided that it couldn't hurt to upload it. I knew no one would respond to it .... and I was fine with that. So I titled the photo, "Ice on Elk Lake in a Snow Storm" and sent it to the class gallery.
Next thing I know, the e-mail comments start flying in, not only from my classmates but from the instructor. They feel much differently about the photo than I do. Beauty certainly is in the eye of the beholder.
To each her own as the saying goes.

I really like it Kathleen - it fits the prompt to a "T" (trying to figure out why I can only post as Anon)
ReplyDelete