Thursday, January 20, 2011

A New Experience for Me

I am not an athlete, never have been, never will be.  We encourage our children to participate in sports and learn what it is like to be part of a team.  Experience it.  Work hard.  Celebrate the wins.  Console each other in the losses. 

For our oldest' basketball team, I volunteered to keep the statistics.  I experienced for the first time what it felt like to be on a team.  I learned, once again, to never judge.  As a spectator in the stands, it is so easy to criticize the coaches, not understanding what they are doing, questioning why they are calling what they call.

Then, I got invited to sit on the bench side.  Oh boy.  I was shocked at how chaotic it is.  Coaches coaching, offering first aid, encouraging the boys, talking to referees, watching the scoreboard, and on and on and on. 

The statistician role fit me to a tee.  It takes multitasking to its finest.  I loved the action.  I loved involved.  I loved getting to know the boys and the coaches.  I loved having the responsibility of making sure everyone followed the rules.  I loved getting to know new people.  I loved it all and knew I would miss it once the season ended.

The girls' season starts Monday.  I was asked to do the statistics for their team.  Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment