Thursday, January 27, 2011

Did I Learn Anything in School?

The Civil War is the current topic of study in our household.  The younger two are spouting off all the facts they can about the Presidents.  I could not get them to bed the other night as they insisted on how very important it was for them to watch the State of the Union address.  They actually gave a convincing argument about how their civic duty to stay up on what is happening with the country and the world.  Not bad for a six and eight year old.  I gave in and I am pretty sure they paid attention until succumbing to their heavy eyelids.

Our oldest is working on designing a Civil War version of Trivial Pursuit.  He needs to develop 300 questions related to the war.  300.  300!

As the mom "who knows everything" or so I tell the kids, some quick remedial work was necessary.

I have no clue where I was in my early years when the Civil War was presented.  How could I not remember that John Wilkes Booth broke his leg in the jump from the balcony?  Did I know before that the Federal Income Tax was initiated by Abraham Lincoln?  The IRS was then developed to keep track of taxes.  That's were it all started.

I should know this stuff.  I just makes me wonder .... Did I Learn Anything in School?  JEEZ!

2 comments:

  1. I think we learned it. It's just we have so many other things we learned and it's not really re-enforced in day-to-day life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you did. You learned HOW to think! And very well, I might add! J

    ReplyDelete